Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Book of Names


Title: The Book of Names
Author: D. Barkley Briggs
Rating: Two Guitars

Sizzilin' Summary:
Hadyn and Ewan Barlow have moved to a new place with their twin brothers and Dad. Their mother died a year ago from cancer, and they're still feeling the hurt. But when a bunch of mysterious birds drop some mysterious scrolls at the boys' feet, Hadyn and Ewan soon find a runestone that's a portal, and are teleported to the world of Karac Tor... pretty unwillingly.
There, things get bad quickly. Nemesia, the evil witch, is stealing the souls of Karac Tor's teens, and their names from the Book of Names. She is after the duo.
Hadyn and Ewan soon get new friends, and discover that they have powers. But when Nemesia's Lost capture Hadyn, will the two deeply-connected brothers get together? Will Ewan get Hadyn in time to save his soul, his name? Even if they do, will they ever find a way home?

Rockin' Review:
I seriously didn't like this book!
I didn't enjoy the story, and there were problems riddled throughout the book. We didn't always know who was the main character of the chapter, and it changed often, and it was hard to keep up. And, many times through the story, I felt that the author was telling us stuff that the main character whose eyes we were looking through didn't know! That is not something you do if you're a good author! And the last chapter added extra stuff, and I felt that it felt rushed.
The only reason it got two guitars, and that I kept reading is exactly that: I kept reading. The author did some good writing in some parts, and he kept me interested. I'll honestly admit, I wanted to put the book down a couple times. But the author held my interest, and kept making me want to find out answers and what happens next. That is the only part that impresses me.
This is supposed to be the first book of the Karac Tor series. But I'm not planning on getting any more. This one was bad enough. This is not a rockin' book! Like, no way!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Sorry you didn't like it, but well written and thought out review.

    ReplyDelete